Gun Permit to Purchase
- If you possess or are going to apply for a Minnesota permit to carry, you do NOT need to apply for a separate permit to purchase. A valid permit to carry includes the authorization to purchase a firearm.
- The Dakota County Sheriff’s Office processes all Permit to Carry applications for Dakota County residents and any non-Minnesota Residents.
- Dakota County Sheriff Permit to Carry Link
- There is no cost to apply for an application.
- Applications will only be accepted for residents of Inver Grove Heights.
- Applications must be fully completed and signed in all appropriate locations (there are four signature locations).
- Applications must have a completed 7-day waiver.
- Applications must include a copy of your current valid government issued identification.
- The following are acceptable forms of government issued identification:
- Minnesota driver’s license (expired DLs will not be accepted without temporary credentials)
- Minnesota ID card (expired ID cards will not be accepted without temporary credentials)
- Passport with supporting residency documentation (i.e.- Utility Bill or Energy Bill)
- The Minnesota Uniform Firearms Application can be accessed here:
- The Inver Grove Heights Police Department 7-day waiver can be accessed here: 7-day waiver
Submitting an Application:
- When submitting via email the application must be in PDF format.
- Digital photos of an application will NOT be accepted.
- Mail: Gun Permit Applications, C/O Inver Grove Heights Police Department, 8150 Barbara Avenue Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
- Once the application is received, the final page of the application will be filled out and sent via mail.
- This is a receipt only and not a permit.
- When an application is received the Police Department will conduct a series of background - related checks to assure an applicant has met eligibility requirements established in state law.
- Once those checks are complete, and the applicant is approved, a one-year permit to purchase a handgun in Minnesota will be issued and mailed to the address on the application.