Bow Hunting Regulations

Archery Hunting season dates are available on the DNR website:

Please read the following requirements establish as of August 2016 for all hunters:

  • All hunters (including those hunting on their own property) are required to register with the Inver Grove Heights Police Department and provide a copy of their hunting license.
  • Hunters who will be hunting on someone else’s property will be required to show written permission from the property owner and must also provide proof of proficiency.
    • Proof of proficiency: This may be obtained at a local or regional archery range or outdoor sporting goods store. This is a measure of the individual's ability to shoot five of five arrows into a 4” target at 20 yards. The proficiency test must be completed every 24 months from the original certification date.
  • Property owners/tenants - and all those related individuals as defined by the ordinance - who hunt on their own property will not need to provide proof of proficiency. 
  • There is no public land in the City where hunting is allowed. Hunting is only allowed on private property with the permission of the property owner. 
  • A full summary of Bow Hunting Requirements can be found here.
  • Click here to view a map of where bow hunting will be allowed. 
Property Exception Requests:
Any and all requests for property exceptions to be included for the 2017 Bow Hunt must go through the following process in order for approval to be granted. Approval is not guaranteed and exception requests will not be heard and approved until Monday, September 10, 2018.

  1. Fill out the Property Exception Request form completely. Property Exception Request Form
  2. Get written permission from each property owner of all adjacent properties for which the hunting exception is requested.
  3. Submit your request to City Hall either in person or via U.S. mail by Friday, August 24, 2018. Originals only will be accepted.
  4. Attend City Council meeting on Monday, September 10, 2018 to respond to questions (if any), from City Council members. 

For those who wish to hunt on other people's property, please note the following:

  1. You must fill out the Non Property Owner Registration form completely. Non Property Owner Registration Form
  2. You will need written permission (originals only) from the property owners for each hunter within the hunting party. (For example, if there are five in your party, all five are required to register in person and have an original permission slip from the property owner.)
  3. Those who wish to hunt on another’s property must complete registration in person at the Inver Grove Heights Police Department. There is no cost. 
  4. A verified copy of the permission slip and a copy of the proficiency certificate must be carried by the hunter at all times while hunting. (See the "Proof of proficiency" description above).

Additional bow hunting regulations include:

  • Restricting discharge within 200 feet of driveways or 300 feet of structures not owned by the person engaged in the shooting unless the owner of the driveway or structure consents in writing and provides such permission to the police department, to a lesser restriction.
  • Restricting discharge within 200 feet of any public street or private roadway.
  • There shall be no shooting or discharge of any bow and arrow within three hundred (300) feet of any residential or commercial structure.
  • Limiting bow and arrow use to parcels of 2.5 acres or greater to the owners of the parcel, the residents, and parents and children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters of the owners.
  • Limiting bow and arrow use to parcels of 5 acres or greater. Including any parcel of less than 5 acres in size when combined with contiguous parcels to the owners, the residents of the parcel, the parents and children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters of owners or residents, and those receiving permission from all the owners.
  • On an individual parcel of 5 acres or more in size, only the owners of the parcel, the residents of the parcel and the parents, children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, brothers and sisters of the owners or residents and those receiving permission from the owner.
Private properties that exclude hunting: 
To facilitate inquiries with respect to which parcels of land are not available for hunting because the owners decline to grant permission, the City Clerk shall maintain a list by owner name and address for such non-available parcels. The purpose of the list is to present an opportunity for an owner to make known that the owner has decided not to grant permission with the result that contacts with the owner are reduced or eliminated. Click here for the list of properties.

In order for the owner name and parcel address to be placed on the list, please note the following:

  • The parcel owner must in writing notify the City Clerk that the owner wishes to be on the list and has decided not to grant permission for hunting or target practice. 
  • The name of the owner and the parcel address shall be removed from the list if the owner files a written request with the City Clerk to remove the owner name and parcel address. 
  • The creation of the list is a voluntary program. 
  • There is no requirement that an owner and parcel be on the list in order for the owner to decline permission to anyone for hunting or target practice. 


Please call 651-450-2525.

Bow Hunting Documents Links