Voter Registration


Before you can vote, you must register. In Minnesota, you must register 21 days before Election Day for your name to appear on the polling place roster. If you do not meet the registration deadline you must register at your polling place on Election Day.

Voter Eligibility

You may register and vote in Inver Grove Heights on the next Election Day if you:
  • Are a U.S. citizen
  • Will be at least 18 years old on election day
  • Will have resided in Inver Grove Heights for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
  • Have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
  • Are not under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
  • Have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law

Am I Registered to Vote?

Voters can check their current registration status here. Or you may call the Elections Hotline 651-450-2463.

When to Re-Register

You must re-register each time you change your address, change your name, or do not vote for four years in a row. Update your registration by completing a new registration application online.

Registration Dates

You are encouraged to register before Election Day. To pre-register, election officials must receive your application at least three weeks before Election Day. For your name to appear on the polling place roster for the 2016 State Primary, register by July 24, 2018 at 4:30pm. For your name to appear on the polling place roster for the 2018 State General Election, register by October 16, 2018 at 4:30pm. If you register late, bring in your late registration card.

You can register at your polling place on Election Day if you miss the pre-registration deadline.

Ways to Register to Vote

Register Online
Register by Mail
Register on Election Day

You can also register to vote by checking a box on your driver's license application or renewal form.

If you move to a new Minnesota residence, you can submit a United States Postal Service (USPS change-of-address form). USPS will notify election officials of the change. If election officials can match the record in their system, they will update your address and mail a green confirmation postcard to you.

Read the Voter Registration Confidentiality Notice.

Election Day Registration

To register at the polling place on Election Day, you must have authorized proof of residence:

OPTION 1: ID with Current Name and Address
Accepted forms of ID include:

  • Valid Minnesota driver’s license, Minnesota learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card - or a receipt for any of these
  • A Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo, and signature
OPTION 2: Photo ID PLUS a Document with Current Name and Address in the Precinct
The ID can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, tablet, etc.)
Accepted Photo IDs

  • Driver’s license, state ID card, or learner's permit issued by any state
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Military ID Card
  • Tribal ID card with the name, signature, and photo of the voter
  • Minnesota university, college, or technical college ID card
  • Minnesota high school ID card

Accepted Documents

Acceptable bills must show voter’s current name and address in the precinct.
  • Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for:
    • Electric, Gas, Water
    • Solid Waste or Sewer Services
    • Telephone (land line, cell, VOIP)
    • TV (cable or satellite)
    • Internet Services
    • Banking or credit card
    • Rent or Mortgage payments
  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
  • Current student fee statement


more information or answers to specific questions go to the MN

Secretary of State

OPTION 3: Registered Voter Who Can Confirm Your Name and Address
A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. A registered voter can vouch for up to eight others.

OPTION 4: College Student ID—If a Student Housing List Was Provided
College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.

OPTION 5: Valid Registration in the Same Precinct
If you were previously registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the elections official your previous name or address — no additional documentation is needed.

OPTION 6: Notice of Late Registration
If you pre-registered to vote after the deadline, you MAY have received a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. This notice can be used to register.

OPTION 7: Staff Person of a Residential Facility
If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your name and address.