Licenses & Permits
As part of our response to the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented the following changes to our building permit and inspection process.
Updated June 15
We are requesting all visits to the Building Inspections unit located in City Hall be scheduled by appointment. Most business can be completed via the online portal or by phone. If that is not possible, a phone consult or in-office appointment can be scheduled by calling 651-450-2550.
Residential Building Inspections
Building inspections that take place inside a residence may be performed through iPhone FaceTime or the Zoom app. If these are not an option, on-site interior inspections may be scheduled. We will continue on-site inspections on residential permits for exterior improvements such as roofs, siding and decks.
On-site Commercial inspections will continue for occupied and unoccupied structures and spaces (new building and tenant remodels).
All permits can be secured and paid for through the Inver Grove Heights online portal.
Inspection staff is available by phone at 651-450-2550 for consultations during this time, or via e-mail at email@example.com.
We know the situation presented by the COVID-19 virus will present further challenges as the situation changes, and we remain committed to communicating the changes with you as quickly as possible. For the most up-to-date information regarding the City’s response to COVID-19 please visit www.invergroveheights.org/COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
**NEW** Access ONLINE PERMITS PORTAL to apply for and pay for licenses and permits!
The City requires permits and licenses for various building-related activities that occur within the City. View the list of building-related activities at the bottom of this page.
All permits can now be applied for online. The below applications should only be submitted through the portal when you are applying for a permit with plans. Permits not requiring plan sets do not need a permit application submission, simply register and .
- Building Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Plumbing and Utility Permit Application
- Miscellaneous Permit Application
- Commercial Hood and Ventilation Cleaning Permit Application
- Manufactured Home Installation Permit Application
Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Forms & Permit Applications
- Sewage Treatment System Permit Application and Instructions
- Capacity Compliance Inspection Form and Instructions
- Variance Application and Instructions
- SSTS Abandonment Reporting Form
A city license is required for contractors performing the following types of work:
- General Commercial
- General Residential (over four units)
The City requires permits and licenses for various building-related activities that occur within the City. Below is a list of building-related activities that require a permit.
- Basement Finish
- Egress Windows
- Inspection Requirements - Checklist
- Manufactured Housing Installation Requirements
- Multi-Family & Commercial Permits and Fees
- Pools / Spas / Hot Tubs
- Retaining Wall
- Single Family Homes
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems Code Information Packet
- Windows and Doors
All City Licenses require the completed Certificate of Insurance form accompanied by the license and fee.